Monday, August 9, 2010

kinda genius

I don't remember where I read about this. I tried searching for it, but it was a near impossible search. Anyway, some blog I read was talking about some little kitchen tricks she uses for saving counterspace, keeping things clean, what have you. And she mentioned using a bowl by her cutting board for scraps. She does it so she doesn't have to carry handfuls of stuff to the garbage 50 times while prepping food and it also saves from having to keep a pile of scraps on the counter which takes up useable counterspace.

I thought that was kinda genius. It was such a simple idea and I have a ton of extra bowls to use, so I thought I'd try it out for a week and see whether it was as smart as it sounded.

I chose one of my more awkward glass bowls to use. I wouldn't use it as a mixing bowl because the sides are too short, and I wouldn't use it for salads cuz it's just too big and wide.

It's ended up working perfectly for this. Anything I'd carry over to the garbage goes in the bowl. Peelings, tops of onions, egg shells, that sort of thing. It's also made clean up super easy, too. Peeling carrots? I just pull the bowl over and peel into it. Wiping the counter down, I just brush all the dry crumbs into the bowl and wipe away.

When I'm done cooking for the day, I take the whole bowl over to the garbage and throw everything out. It's saved a lot of back and forth trips to the garbage, yes, but I think the best thing that's come out of this trick is that it's helped keep the counter mess free -- there's less juices ending up on it, so I don't have to wipe it down as much (from egg shells as an example, or even that weird dirty starch mess left from potato peelings).

It's been a huge revolutionary update to my kitchen routine.

I'm also working on a little project that involves this fantastic colour, but like all little projects, it's turning into a multi-step headache. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

erika edith said...

sounds like a great idea - i keep a compost bucket at hand when i am making things in the kitchen but a bowl for garbage (not compost stuff) would be just as smart. thanks for sharing.

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Oooh purple. I'm excited!